Fava is a dish I first tasted when I went to Santorini. Yet another traditional local dish which is served everywhere, from a gourmet restaurant to a small grill house.
It is served in most Athenian restaurants too, as a starter, appetizer or as a meze
Try it out, it’s an easy to cook, healthy and delicious food for the whole family!
On a side it has been a while since we last posted on the blog. This is because we moved to a new house and between packing up all our stuff, moving and then unpacking everything again we got caught up and lost sense of time. It seems that we constantly move cups, plates, glasses, cloths etc. around the house to find it’s “right” place but after a few days we have a new “right” place.
Well on to the how to of fava bean puree, this is what you will need
- 500g yellow fava beans
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 lemon
- dry oregano
- olive oil
1. Boil the fava beans in 1 liter of water, removing any impurities and foam that occur.
2. After 10′ to 15′ minutes of boiling add the onions, zest of half a lemon, salt and 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Simmer on medium heat for 60 minutes, or until the peas have softened and become mushy.
4. Push the peas with a fork or purée with a blender.
5. Serve with freshly chopped onion, olive oil, lemon juice, olives and oregano or fresh chopped parsley!
Let us know if you made this easy dish and how you liked it.